New York City Preventative Dentistry
Protect Your Oral & Overall Health
Dr. Marc Lazare, one of the leading general and cosmetic dentists in New York City, provides optimal dental care and education for patients of all ages. At our practice, preventive dental care is emphasized to help our patients avoid future oral and dental problems and to keep current concerns from turning into far more serious conditions. Here’s what you should know about preventive dentistry at our New York City practice so you can keep your teeth healthy for many years to come.
Preventive Dentistry Services
Dr. Marc Lazare offers various preventative services to help his patients achieve optimal dental health. These include:
- Regularly scheduled oral exams
- Deep teeth cleaning and whitening
- Dental sealants and mouth guards
- Dental x-rays with cutting-edge technology
- Nutrition and diet evaluation
- Guidance on proper daily at-home dental care
- Oral cancer screening/testing
Preventative Dental Care Steps
If you have questions about how to care for developing smiles, we are happy to talk about good habits for a healthy diet, as well as the best brushing and flossing practices. We make it easy for you and your entire family to receive care, whether you need a routine cleaning or cavity filling, we are here to serve you as best as we can.
Tips to maintain great oral health for a lifetime include:
- Schedule dental checkups regularly – As recommended by the American Dental Association, your should visit at least twice a year. By ensuring you attend constant appointments you’re your dentist, you can certify that things are progressing normally and on the right track to outstanding oral health.
- Promote proper nutrition – As does any part of your body, your oral health requires healthy eating habits. With an abundance of snacks containing sugar, patients are highly susceptible to getting cavities. Refrain from sugary snacks and beverages and instead choose healthier alternatives such as low-sugar fruits, vegetables, and drink water more regularly.
Are Alternative Dental Remedies Safe?Like many western drugs, herbal remedies have potential risks, side effects, and drug interactions that can interfere with traditional western medicines and affect the safe practice of dentistry. The FDA currently regulates prescription and over-the-counter drugs but not herbal preparations.
As a result, the dental profession must continue to increase its level of understanding and education about these alternative medications and treatments so that these new generations of dental patients are treated safely and effectively.
Should I Floss Before or After Brushing My Teeth?It is recommended that you floss after you brush. Flossing before brushing can be very messy for most people. Additionally, flossing in a mouth that contains a lot of debris can only serve to introduce more bacteria into the gum pockets. If a person brushes very well, they should be able to better visualize what they are trying to accomplish with the floss.
Is It Safe to Brush My Teeth With Backing Soda?Brushing your teeth and tongue with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is one of the least abrasive, yet most effective tooth cleaners on the market today. Various clinical and lab studies show that toothpaste containing baking soda neutralizes acids and odors, removes plaque and deep tooth stain more readily than other leading kinds of toothpaste, and leaves your mouth fresh and feeling very clean. Brushing your tongue with baking soda is also ideal since the baking soda kills harmful bacteria that lead to Streptococcus and Candida (white tongue).
What Is Preventive Treatment in Dentistry?The main goal of preventive dental care is to ensure a healthy mouth and strong, healthy teeth. Dental maintenance lessens your chance of developing serious oral diseases like periodontal issues, dental decay, and more. It also improves your overall health and quality of life, allowing you to maintain a beautiful smile and functional teeth for decades. Patients of all ages can benefit from Dr. Lazare’s preventive dental care services. It’s important to set kids up for success by encouraging good habits from a young age. You can find more information regarding dental care for kids on our pediatric dentistry page.
to Get Started? Call Us at 332-334-8290 or Schedule Your Next Visit
Monday: 8am - 5pm
Tuesday: 8am - 5pm
Wednesday: 10am - 7pm
Thursday: 8am - 5pm
Friday: 8am - 5pm
Saturday: 9am - 6pm